First Presbyterian Church of Henderson, North Carolina was organized by
a commission from Orange Presbytery on Sunday, August 29, 1868. The congregation
has been part of four presbyteries: Orange, Albemarle, formed in 1889
from Orange Presbytery, Granville, formed from Orange and Albemarle in
1923, and once more, Orange when Granville and Orange Presbyteries were
merged in 1972.
The first building housing the congregation was a small wooden structure
located on William Street near the intersection of Spring Street. In 1878
a second church building was erected on Breckenridge Street between Wyche
Street and Chestnut Street. Since there was no courthouse in Henderson
at this time, courts were often held in this building. A brick church
was built on our present site in 1881 with a Sunday School Assembly Room
added in 1900. In 1929 this building was torn down and the present sanctuary
with attached Sunday school rooms was constructed. An educational building
was added to this structure in 1960.
"Servants in Christ" is a clear statement of First Presbyterian's
purpose and mission. The church has always been a forerunner in ministering
to the people of Henderson and Vance County. For well over a decade the
church has provided the needy with clothing through its all-volunteer
clothing closet. In 1982 the church was the driving force behind establishing
Area Christians Together in Service (ACTS), a cooperative venture by the
church to try and alleviate the suffering of those unable to be helped
by the various government agencies or existing private sources.
As has been the case throughout history, First Presbyterian Church seeks
to renew the spirit of God's people whenever and where ever it is able
to do so.